Javier Gostling wrote:
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 10:04:22AM -0500, Tibbetts, Ric wrote:

I tried the telnet idea before. It's not even installed. So that's
out.

but thanks for the suggestion.

Ok. Another one is to do an "xhost + remote_host" and have the guy at
the remote site do "xterm -display your_host:0" so as to have the remote
xterm window show in your workstations display. Be aware that, most
likely, a firewall will be blocking you somewhere.
Yeah, the server itself is running a firewall. (just to make this even harder). So telnet is blocked. Even if it were installed, it's blocked.

I'm really down to looking for a set of guesses on why sshd is failing to start.

Ric

An Idea: FTP is enabled. So I can ftp into the box, but only as a regular user, not as root. I'm doctoring a copy of /etc/passwd, to switch the UID of a regular user to "0". That would grant root priveledge during ftp. Then I can grab a copy of /var/log/messages, and maybe get a clue as to what's happening. I can walk my remote fingers through a "cp /tmp/passwd /etc/passwd" to put that in place (later today.. the fingers are out for the morning...).