On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 03:10:48PM -0500, Ryan Babchishin wrote:
> nate wrote:
> > there sure is! provided you don't mind even more curroption to your
> > filesystem tell fsck to force check. it will cause massive damage I bet :)
>
> Ok, I'll get right on that!

Um, so you really *are* going to force fsck on a read/write file
system?  If so, that sounds like a serious mistake.

> > first, terminate all processes that are using the filesystem, then
> > mount /filesystem -o remount,ro
> >
> > and run fsck on it.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't really have that option in my environment.

What happens if you *do* pick an hour with low usage and run a safe
fsck?

In comparison, what happens if your server simply crashes and won't
restart?, or if lots of user data gets corrupted or lost?  It seems
clear to me that there is a choice here and the first case is the
better one.

But I am wondering whether in the first case you will be blamed for
the downtime, and so you are hoping that in the (worse) second case no
one will point the finger at you?

-kb, the Kent who must be misunderstanding something.