nate wrote:
Ryan Babchishin said:

Ok, I'll get right on that!

just be sure to backup the data first. I can't tell if you saw I was
joking or if your joking but I definately would not attempt a forced
fsck on a filesystem. if the dataon the filesystem changes a lot your
likely to trigger far more severe damage.
Don't worry :) I caught on. I guess e-mail doesn't compliment sarcasm well.

you can always do a readonly check first though:

e2fsck -n /device

then you can see what would be modified if you were to attempt a fix.

there will likely be a lot of errors reported if the data changes
on the filesystem during the fsck, resulting in false positives. you
may be able to minimize the damage by selectively OK'ing reported problems
that you KNOW are problems.

perhaps running it multiple times and comparing the differences you can
find a common area of curroption.
That's the best suggestion I've heard yet... Do you know of any risks involved in repairing something that you know is in error, while the fs is mounted?

good luck

nate