Kent Borg said:

> What happens if you *do* pick an hour with low usage and run a safe fsck?

he did mention that doing a fsck will take 16 hours ..must be a really
big filesystem, largest filesystem I've had to do a fsck on was about
36gigs(anything bigger was usually reiserfs), and that took only a few
minutes. Perhaps its a few hundred gig or something..

> In comparison, what happens if your server simply crashes and won't
> restart?, or if lots of user data gets corrupted or lost?  It seems clear
> to me that there is a choice here and the first case is the
> better one.

that and if his data is so critical to remain available I think his
organization needs to come up with a better system configuration with
more high availability configurations in mind, perhaps a cluster, or a
global/shared filesystem(AFS?), or perhaps some commercial solution with
SAN or NAS.

nate