greg wrote:
----------------->>>>
I am having problems installing the alsa sound drivers.  You have to
forgive me, I am a bit of a novice when it comes to linux.
I have installed the alsa kernel, driver, lib, lib devel and utils
rpms.  They installed without problems.
I inserted the following into the /etc/modules.conf:
# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

I ran in a terminal:
modprobe snd-intel8x0;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe
snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss
and got no output as I should have.
(1)
Ran alsa mixer and set the volumes.
(2)
and inserted the following in the /etc/modules.conf file to have the
mixer settings restored at startup:
post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

The only thing I could not do (did not really know how to do), is remove
the current sound module.  I don't know how important this is.  How do I
list running modules, and how do I remove them?
(3)
anything else I have missed??

Docs are a little misleading...

(1) No you shouldn't have until you make your alsamixer adjustments.

(2) You have to UN-mute the levels in alsamixer and then set the volumes.
Check the help.

(3) lsmod and rmmod