On Friday 07 February 2003 23:11, rvelez wrote:
> Sorry for the subject title. Here what I got from the following:
>
> [root@phyche root]# redhat-config-soundcard
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
>

> [root@phyche root]# ls -la /dev/ds*
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,   3 Aug 30 19:31 /dev/dsp
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,  19 Aug 30 19:31 /dev/dsp1
> crw-------    1 root     root      55,   0 Aug 30 19:31 /dev/dsp56k
>

> [root@phyche root]# cat /etc/modules.conf
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
>
> Thanks for all the help

OK now can you try this.

Here's the output of ls "ls -al /dev/ds*" on my laptop

[root@nogs root]# ls -al /dev/ds*
crw-------    1 root     root      14,   3 Aug 31 00:31 /dev/dsp
crw-------    1 root     root      14,  19 Aug 31 00:31 /dev/dsp1
crw-------    1 root     root      55,   0 Aug 31 00:31 /dev/dsp56k

So that's the same as you, no problem there.

Here's the significant section of my "/etc/modules.conf"

[root@nogs root]# more /etc/modules.conf

alias sound-slot-0 maestro3
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L  \
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S \
>/dev/null  2>&1 || :

The post-install and pre-remove lines have been split for purposes of this
e-mail but should be on single lines in the modules.conf file.

You are missing those lines from your modules.conf file so your soundcard
is not set up correctly.

The alias line is inserted when you configure the soundcard and the other
two lines are inserted when you set your volume preferences.

Ok. now try this.

As root run /sbin/sndconfig ( NOT redhat-config-soundcard ). This should
recognize your soundcard as a Maestro3 and configure it. You should hear
a test sound being played.

Then run Gnome Menu --> Sound & Video --> Volume Control and set your
volume settings.

Now check your modules.conf file. Is it OK.

Reboot

Check what modules are loaded. You should see amongst others.

[root@nogs root]# lsmod
maestro3               30864   0
soundcore               6532   2  [maestro3]
ac97_codec             13416   0  (autoclean) [maestro3]

Test your sound setup.

[root@nogs root]# cat  /usr/share/sounds/gtk-events/toggled.wav > /dev/dsp

You should hear a sound.

Best of luck,

Tony.

Tony Molloy.                 e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Systems Manager.
Dept. of CSIS.               Phone:   +353-61-202778 (DL)
Univ. of Limerick.                    +353-61-333644 ext. 2778
Ireland.                     Fax:     +353-61-202734