On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 15:11, rvelez wrote:
> Sorry for the subject title. Here what I got from the following:
>
> [root@phyche root]# redhat-config-soundcard
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
> sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': No such device
>

> [root@phyche root]# ls -la /dev/ds*
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,   3 Aug 30 19:31 /dev/dsp
> crw-------    1 root     root      14,  19 Aug 30 19:31 /dev/dsp1
> crw-------    1 root     root      55,   0 Aug 30 19:31 /dev/dsp56k
>

> [root@phyche root]# cat /etc/modules.conf
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias usb-controller usb-uhci
>
> Thanks for all the help
>

> -Rad

Please don't top-post - makes it a pain to read the e-mail history -

I missed the type of soundcard that you had.   You will notice that
there are dozens, [actually thousands] of entries in /dev that don't
actually represent anything in your computer.  i.e.  I highly doubt that
you have like 10 ide controllers, but you probably have like /dev/hda -
/dev/hdj or something ridicuous like that.  Most likely your sound card
drivers aren't loaded, or your sound card isn't supported.  What do you
have?

js

p.s. Those errors note that the kernel has no underlying driver that is
operating on that device.

--
VB programmers ask why no one takes them seriously,
it's somewhat akin to a McDonalds manager asking employees