Bret,

You don't want to run startkde on the remote computer as startkde starts the X
server and related tasks which need to run on your local computer. The X
server is the task that manages the local display (the monitor, keyboard and
mouse). Instead:

>From local computer:
    startkde              (or any other window manager/desktop)
    xhost +$HOSTNAME      (this is insecure, but simple)
    telnet servername     (or rsh, or ssh, or...)

Then on the remote computer you need to set the display variable and run the X
applications. Setting the display variable varies depending on the shell you
use. Using bash, 'export DISPLAY=desktopname' will do it. Then just run the X
application and the output will be directed to your local/desktop computer.

If I recall correctly, ssh will set the display variable on the remote machine
for you.

Mike