On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 12:10, Michael Schwendt wrote:

I am a little nervous about suggesting this since he did not get the
typical iteration over non-sequence but I had a problem where
redhat-config-packages would start act like it was going to work and
then die returning nothing to the gui but it did leave the error I just
mentioned in the gnome-terminal.

This was from the linuxquestions.org thread that solved my dying
redhat-config-packages issue:

> millionyearsold
> Newbie
>

> Registered: Dec 2002
> Location:
>

> I had the same problem, tried the same solution with the same result -
> i.e. I still had the problem. Quite a few people are experiencing
> this. Anyway I have a fix (or hack) that seems to work for me though I
> can't vouch for its validity - then again when you take a look at
> comps.py you will see there are plenty of hacks and fixme code already
> so it would seem that RH can't vouch for its validity either.
>
> Add this line immeadiately before line 420 in comps.py (listed in your
> traceback):
>
> if h[rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES] is not None:
>
> Make sure that the indents are correct before and after this line i.e
> the two lines immeadiatly after should be indented to the right of
> this line so it should look like this:
>
> if h[rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES] is not None:
>
> - where > is a space. The "if" line should have the same indent as the
> previous if statement in comps.py.
>
> The problem is probably occuring because there are one or more entries
> in the rpm make up that redhat-config-packages cannot cope with. This
> might be because the rpm database is wrong or it might be because of a
> bug in redhat-config-packages - I am no expert on either. Neither am I
> an expert in python which is what I assume comps.py is written in.
> However, the fix/hack checks that the thing at index
> rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES in h has some content before trying to iterate
> over that content. Just to re-iterate: I don't know if this is a valid
> solution, use at your own risk and remember to make a copy of comps.py
> before you edit it.
>
> Last edited by millionyearsold on 12-09-2002 at 11:40 PM

However, I will say again that it he should have seen an error message
on console as root something like this:

(MainWindow.py:1332): Gtk-WARNING **:
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.0.0/engines/libredmond95.so: undefined symbol:
gtk_rc_style_get_type
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/MainWindow.py", line 163, in ?
comps = im.readCompsViaMethod(hdlist, progress.update)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/method.py", line 488, in
readCompsViaMethod
update_method = update_method)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 387, in __init__
self.readCompsFile(file, self.packages)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 471, in
readCompsFile
self.setupStateDicts(packages)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 420, in
setupStateDicts
for prov in h[rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES]:
TypeError: iteration over non-sequence

Now what he is describing could also be the infrequent issue with rpm
hanging from redhat-config-packages or the command line.  Then a reboot
with a combination of of the verify and rebuild commands people have
already mentioned seems to work.

--
Johnathan Bailes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>