Johnathan Bailes wrote:

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 12:10, Michael Schwendt wrote:

I am a little nervous about suggesting this since he did not get the
typical iteration over non-sequence but I had a problem where
redhat-config-packages would start act like it was going to work and
then die returning nothing to the gui but it did leave the error I just
mentioned in the gnome-terminal.
This was from the linuxquestions.org thread that solved my dying
redhat-config-packages issue:

millionyearsold
Newbie

Registered: Dec 2002
Location: Distribution: Posts: 1

I had the same problem, tried the same solution with the same result -
i.e. I still had the problem. Quite a few people are experiencing
this. Anyway I have a fix (or hack) that seems to work for me though I
can't vouch for its validity - then again when you take a look at
comps.py you will see there are plenty of hacks and fixme code already
so it would seem that RH can't vouch for its validity either.
Add this line immeadiately before line 420 in comps.py (listed in your
traceback):

if h[rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES] is not None:

Make sure that the indents are correct before and after this line i.e
the two lines immeadiatly after should be indented to the right of
this line so it should look like this:

if h[rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES] is not None:

for prov in h[rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES]:

self.instProvs[prov] = pkg

- where > is a space. The "if" line should have the same indent as the
previous if statement in comps.py.

The problem is probably occuring because there are one or more entries
in the rpm make up that redhat-config-packages cannot cope with. This
might be because the rpm database is wrong or it might be because of a
bug in redhat-config-packages - I am no expert on either. Neither am I
an expert in python which is what I assume comps.py is written in.
However, the fix/hack checks that the thing at index
rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES in h has some content before trying to iterate
over that content. Just to re-iterate: I don't know if this is a valid
solution, use at your own risk and remember to make a copy of comps.py
before you edit it.

Last edited by millionyearsold on 12-09-2002 at 11:40 PM

However, I will say again that it he should have seen an error message
on console as root something like this:

(MainWindow.py:1332): Gtk-WARNING **:
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.0.0/engines/libredmond95.so: undefined symbol:
gtk_rc_style_get_type
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/MainWindow.py", line 163, in ?
comps = im.readCompsViaMethod(hdlist, progress.update)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/method.py", line 488, in
readCompsViaMethod
update_method = update_method)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 387, in __init__
self.readCompsFile(file, self.packages)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 471, in
readCompsFile
self.setupStateDicts(packages)
File "/usr/share/redhat-config-packages/comps.py", line 420, in
setupStateDicts
for prov in h[rpm.RPMTAG_PROVIDES]:
TypeError: iteration over non-sequence

Now what he is describing could also be the infrequent issue with rpm
hanging from redhat-config-packages or the command line. Then a reboot
with a combination of of the verify and rebuild commands people have
already mentioned seems to work.

Thanks a lot for following my problem with the RPM package manager. Im getting some output when I run the script (xterm -e redhat-config-packages) in command line but it just closes to quickly for me to read anything.

rpm --query comps

produces this:

comps -8.0-0.20020910

Im writing because I can see a log about it in the system logs, it looks like this:

Feb 8 23:19:12 20-176 userhelper: pam_timestamp: timestamp file `/var/run/sudo/felo/unknown:root' is too old, disallowing access to redhat-logviewer for UID 500
Feb 8 23:26:38 20-176 userhelper: pam_timestamp: timestamp file `/var/run/sudo/felo/1:root' is too old, disallowing access to redhat-config-packages for UID 500

root too old? what does this mean? in any case it is accepting my password when I give it, start checking for installing packages and crashes! again if there is any way to follow carefully what is going on please... because in the same shell Im executing the command, no error is reported, the script just opens and closes very quickly another window where it is possible to see that something is printed but it is too quick to read anything.

Thanks!