Hi Joe.  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
And sorry I wasn't more clear about my actions.
What I did was take the user account I created during installation,
"edit", and while logged into "root", change the group that edit
belonged to.  It originally showed as being a member of the group
"user".  I changed its group to "root".  I also tried "admin", tried
putting it back, changed the primary group a dozen times.  But
no matter what I'm doing now, it won't let me access the CDROM.

I am pretty sure that I have successfully moved the user account to
the root group since I now have no restrictions about writing directories
and files (just as a test) into the /root, (et.al) directory.

So that's my story.  Believe it, or else.  :-)

ht

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

   ----SUBJECT ---->    Re: root, superusers, and mounting...
On 2/10/2003
I was just minding my own business when
Joe Polk wrote:

>)If I understand you correctly, you took an existing account and named it
>)"root." If so, you could be logging in with the new "root" and not the
>)true root account. The system creates root by default, so you don't need
>)to create one. This might explain the error. Also, superuser is not a
>)user per se'. The su command will allow any old user to switch to root,
>)or any other user on the system provided you know their password. For
>)instance from a prompt:
>)
>)$ su <enter>
>)      You would be prompted for root's password.
>)
>)$ su joe
>)      You would be prompted for joe's password.
>)
>)I'm not sure how you could have created a second root and the primary
>)root not answer the login, but that's my guess. Perhaps someone can
>)address this further.
>)
>)<<JAV>>
>)
>)On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 18:10, Tass wrote:
>)> Greetings.
>)>
>)> New to the list, new to Red Hat (8.0), long time W2k IT.
>)>
>)> I'll try not to inundate with every little question that pops up.  But
>)I've
>)> found the first question that I can't locate the answer to on my own,
>)so
>)> your help would be appreciated.
>)>
>)> In order to have greater access while learning the innards of Linux, I
>)changed
>)> my User account  from it's default to ROOT.  (I know, don't run your
>)system
>)> as root.  But this is just a "learning" system and I plan on screwing
>)it up many
>)> times before I even build another box for any really important work.)
>)> I just wanted to be able to get everywhere without having to log out/in
>)all of
>)> the time.
>)>
>)> Well, I have no idea how much damage I've caused with this, but the
>)first thing
>)> I've encountered is that now I can't access the CDROM.  Error message
>)says:
>)> "Could not mount device.... .....must be superuser to use mount."
>)>
>)> I don't see any "superuser" in the groups.  And I thought that as
>)"Root" it would
>)> be complete and unrestricted access just as it is for "Administrator"
>)in W2k.
>)>
>)> So any ideas why I can't open the CD?  Or any feedback as to this
>)"superuser"
>)> issue?
>)>
>)> TIA gang.
> [...]

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ END ORIGINAL MESSAGE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}