Greetings.

New to the list, new to Red Hat (8.0), long time W2k IT.

I'll try not to inundate with every little question that pops up.  But I've
found the first question that I can't locate the answer to on my own, so
your help would be appreciated.

In order to have greater access while learning the innards of Linux, I changed
my User account  from it's default to ROOT.  (I know, don't run your system
as root.  But this is just a "learning" system and I plan on screwing it up many
times before I even build another box for any really important work.)
I just wanted to be able to get everywhere without having to log out/in all of
the time.

Well, I have no idea how much damage I've caused with this, but the first thing
I've encountered is that now I can't access the CDROM.  Error message says:
"Could not mount device.... .....must be superuser to use mount."

I don't see any "superuser" in the groups.  And I thought that as "Root" it would
be complete and unrestricted access just as it is for "Administrator" in W2k.

So any ideas why I can't open the CD?  Or any feedback as to this "superuser"
issue?

TIA gang.

ht