{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

   ----SUBJECT ---->    Re: root, superusers, and mounting...
On 2/10/2003
I was just minding my own business when
Raymundo M. Vega wrote:

>)being root is not using the name root but the id must be 0,
>)type id and enter, see if your id is "0" that is cero or anything else
>)
>)raymundo

Hi raymundo,

"id" shows user as "edit" (account I created during install), gid=0(root)
it also shows the 4 groups I currently have this account assigned to.
In order: root, adm, users, edit (also created at install)

ht

>)Tass wrote:
>)
>)> Greetings.
>)>
>)> New to the list, new to Red Hat (8.0), long time W2k IT.
>)>
>)> I'll try not to inundate with every little question that pops up.  But
>)I've
>)> found the first question that I can't locate the answer to on my own,
>)so
>)> your help would be appreciated.
>)>
>)> In order to have greater access while learning the innards of Linux, I
>)changed
>)> my User account  from it's default to ROOT.  (I know, don't run your
>)system
>)> as root.  But this is just a "learning" system and I plan on screwing
>)it up many
>)> times before I even build another box for any really important work.)
>)> I just wanted to be able to get everywhere without having to log out/in
>)all of
>)> the time.
>)>
>)> Well, I have no idea how much damage I've caused with this, but the
>)first thing
>)> I've encountered is that now I can't access the CDROM.  Error message
>)says:
>)> "Could not mount device.... .....must be superuser to use mount."
>)>
>)> I don't see any "superuser" in the groups.  And I thought that as
>)"Root" it would
>)> be complete and unrestricted access just as it is for "Administrator"
>)in W2k.
>)>
>)> So any ideas why I can't open the CD?  Or any feedback as to this
>)"superuser"
>)> issue?
>)>
>)> TIA gang.
>)>
>)> ht
>)
>)
>)
>)--
>)redhat-list mailing list
>)unsubscribe mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?subject=unsubscribe
>)https://listman.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

{{{{{{{{{{{{{ END ORIGINAL MESSAGE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}