{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

   ----SUBJECT ---->    Re: curious new posts  [OT]
On 2/18/2003
I was just minding my own business when
John Nichel wrote:

>)Would be nothing new.  Spammers have long used mailing list archives to
>)get addresses.

Understood.
It has been a long-time practice.  I was just giving an "FYI" that it was
happening, and just in case the powers that be here might be interested in
these kinds of uses/abuses of their facilities to gauge if they need/want to do
something about it.

I run a couple of the most popular digital video editing groups on the net, and
we are having to deal with this kind of stuff all of the time, especially since the
groups are on Yahoo (of all places - but it used to be "egroups").  Once we
can really afford to do it, we'll be moving the groups to our own servers and
broadband.  Then we'll be able to better control this kind of stuff.

This is one of the reasons that I am making the move to RH Linux.  That, and
I want to start making ready my move to Linux for my DV editing as well.
That end of things seems to still have a little ways to go before it's really ready
for prime time.  But I'm guessing that by the time that my W2k systems have
aged beyond use * (1 to 2 years I'm guessing) I'll be well situated into my Linux
systems that the transition should be quite painless at that time.  Time to get
real, for sure.
With a little help from you guys every now and again, I think it shouldn't be all
that tough to do.

*(Since I will NEVER allow XP anything near my systems.)

Have a great one,
ht