{{{{{{{{{{{{{{  BEGIN ORIGINAL MESSAGE  }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

   ----SUBJECT ---->    Re: curious new posts  [OT]
On 2/18/2003
I was just minding my own business when
Andy wrote:

>)> > Though I am extremely pleased to have joined this group, I have to
>)say
>)> > that I am a bit concerned about a post I've recently received.
>)>
>)> This list if reflected onto a number of websites and newsgroups. Its
>)quite
>)> possible your address is being picked up on those...
>)
>)Nothing new here.  The scumbag spammers lie quietly and harvest
>)your email as they KNOW it it's a real live one.
>)They immediately sell or swap their weekly/monthly collection with other
>)spammers.   It just gets worse and worse...
>)
>)I really think the whole email system needs to be overhauled in some way.
>)Don't ask me how....

True; it is nothing new, but there's actually quite a bit that can be done, really.

As some have mentioned, the most effective things are done at the recipient level
where the email client is set to perform any number of filtering functions.
But since I am extremely careful about the use of my email accounts; which get used
for what, etc... I've never really needed to do much in the way of spam control.  On

13 different email accounts, if I get a dozen spams a year (not counting chain
letters
and such sent from people on my lists, but still not all that bright) it's a lot.
So I'm
not really complaining, just a "heads up" is all.
As for what can be done at the server; with the yahoo groups I moderate, my partner
and I have tried to find a balance between keeping things free, and open, and
keeping
out the "riff-raff".  It's worked pretty well, so far.  But every once and again
something
will get by.  And we always appreciate it when folks let us know when something
does.
It there's something we can do to track down the culprit and spread the word about
them and their ISP, we do.

As for my end of it, my ISP is great about this kind of thing.  I give them a copy
of it,
they track down the ISP at the other end, close the door on them, and that's usually

the end of it.  Some of the more creative villains take a bit more work.  But they
usually
get them too.  :-)

Have a great one,
ht