On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, Julien Olivier wrote:

> Le ven 21/03/2003 à 23:44, ABrady a écrit :
> > On 21 Mar 2003 21:51:49 +0100
> > Julien Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [Trimmed]
>
> > >  - It has weird keybindings (CTRL-W to cut, CTRL-Y to paste, nothing
> > > copy, F10-f-s to save, F10-f-e to exit...)
> >
> > Save=CTRL-X CTRL-S
> > Exit=CTRL-X CTRL-C
> > SaveAs=CTRL-W
           ^^^^^^ CTRL-X CTRL-W
> > Copy= META-W
> >

> I didn't find them. SaveAs doesn't work for me though (CTRL-W cuts for
> me). Thanks for the tip.

See above.  CTRL-W is cut.

> > >  - There is no way to make a search or to repeat this search using a
> > >  key
> > > combination.
> >
> > Search=CTRL-S
> >

> In fact, the most important part is not the "search" problem (which has
> a solution, it seems), it's the "search next" because I hate to go to
> the menu to select "search next" hundreds of times. But I'm pretty sure
> there is a keybinding (or can be).

Search once = CTRL-S
Search-next = CTRL-S again (repeat as needed).

> > >  - It uses the X11 clipboard so that you can't select something and
> > > paste over it.
> >
> > ?
> >

> For example:
>
> Write "Blah"
> Copy the word "Blah"
> Write "This is a test"
> Select "test" with the mouse
> Press CTRL-Y
> Nothing happens.
>
> In fact, what happened is that when you selected "test", "test" went
> into the clipboard instead of "Blah" because X11 automatically copies
> what's selected. In general that's a good behavior but in some cases,
> that sucks.

Emacs actually doesn't use the X clipboard in the way you might think.
Emacs has its own set of buffers, called the "kill ring."  The sequence of
keystrokes that does what you want is:

Write "Blah"
Select "Blah"
CTRL-W CTRL-Y (Cut and paste in place, i.e., copy))
Write "This is a test"
Select "test"
CTRL-W CTRL-Y CTRL-Y (Cut "test", paste "test" (last cut), paste "Blah"
instead (previous cut).

You would also want to know about ALT-X Replace-String, which replaces
all occurrences of one string with another to the end of the file and
ALT-X Query-Replace-String, which replaces occurrences one at a time.

Furthermore, ALT-X Replace-Regexp and ALT-X Query-Replace-Regexp replace
patterns with patterns, which is an extremely powerful thing to be able to
do.

> > [Info info deleted]
>
> Yes, I think that's the best solution. I tried GOOGLE but didn't find
> good documentations.

There's an O'Reilly book on emacs that might be a good start.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
[EMAIL PROTECTED]