Le ven 21/03/2003 à 23:44, ABrady a écrit :
> On 21 Mar 2003 21:51:49 +0100
> Julien Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm an almost happy Emacs user. What I really LOVE in emacs is the
> > fact that you can automatically indent code using TAB (by
> > automatically I mean that you press TAB once and the code is put at
> > the correct columne, without needing to press TAB several times).
> >
> > The problem is that Emacs has some bugs/problems:
> >  - It can't open files located in non-UTF paths.
>
> ?

Well, if you have a directory whose name contains an icorrect UTF8
character (which happens often if you browse an SMB folder or an FTP
folder which contains files created on Windows or on a UTF8-unfriendy
distro), Emacs can't open the file.

> >  - It has weird keybindings (CTRL-W to cut, CTRL-Y to paste, nothing
> > copy, F10-f-s to save, F10-f-e to exit...)
>
> Save=CTRL-X CTRL-S
> Exit=CTRL-X CTRL-C
> SaveAs=CTRL-W
> Copy= META-W

I didn't find them. SaveAs doesn't work for me though (CTRL-W cuts for
me). Thanks for the tip.

> >  - There is no way to make a search or to repeat this search using a
> >  key
> > combination.
>
> Search=CTRL-S

In fact, the most important part is not the "search" problem (which has
a solution, it seems), it's the "search next" because I hate to go to
the menu to select "search next" hundreds of times. But I'm pretty sure
there is a keybinding (or can be).

> >  - It uses the X11 clipboard so that you can't select something and
> > paste over it.
>
> ?

For example:

Write "Blah"
Copy the word "Blah"
Write "This is a test"
Select "test" with the mouse
Press CTRL-Y
Nothing happens.

In fact, what happened is that when you selected "test", "test" went
into the clipboard instead of "Blah" because X11 automatically copies
what's selected. In general that's a good behavior but in some cases,
that sucks.

> >  - Selecting several lines of code and pressing a key to REPLACE the
> > selected characters doesn't work
>
> I had trouble with this one, too, if I'm reading what you're saying
> right. See below for a possible answer to it, one I never bothered to
> look into.
>
> > So my question is: is there any other code editor with the auto-indent
> > feature and which doesn't have the bugs I wrote upper ? Or,
> > alternatively, is there something like kvim (a vim module for KDE) but
> > using GNOME and Emacs ?
>
> info emacs
>
> There's a section about key bindings. Also, with the exception of
> searching, everything I put above is located in the menus for the
> version I'm using, the version I last used, the version I used years
> ago and every version in-between. I discovered searching by accident
> because I've never read the info page. There may be a key sequence for
> repeating the search, or a means to add it. And there may already be a
> solution to all of the things you've mentioned that I don't know what
> you mean as well.

Yes, I think that's the best solution. I tried GOOGLE but didn't find
good documentations.

The thing is I just discovered jEdit and I must say that it doesn't for
me everything that Emacs did, but is way easier to use and configure. It
even has auto-indent ala Emacs. So, I think I'll keep using it now.

Thanks anyway for your advice.

--
Julien Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>