Steve wrote:

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:30:00 +1100 (EST)
Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

snip

So I built my own version of Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1 from the SRPMS
and have a near automated process for building the errata RPMS from the
SRPMS. I can install my custom built version of RHAS 2.1 on as many
servers as I like (quite legally - GPL) without needing to pay Red Hat snip

I would be interested in the process used to build the AS binaries from the SRPMS. Any howto's or pointers on where to look?

Steve

The RedHat FTP sites and Mirrors contain the RedHat AS RPM's and the Errata RPM's.

I have a licenesed AS server and I compared the SRPMS on the CD's to the ones on the FTP site, they are EXACTLY the same
(MD5 checksum).

I also compared the binary RPM's to the ones in the 7.2 system, out of 1244 RPMS on the RedHat AS CD's,
they are almost all identical, even the MD5 checksums are identical.

I was lucky that I had one RHAS license, so I installed RHAS, and then downloaded all the SRPM's from a public mirror,
did an rpmbuild of each and every one, then downloaded all the SRPM's for the errata, and did those too.

Then I created an FTP server, dumped the directory structure in there for all the RPM's, used anaconda tools to rebuild the
correct hdlist files and such, and then used a RedHat 7.2 bootnet floppy to install the RHAS RPMs that I had built myself.

In effect I have a server that is functionally the same as a RedHat Advanced server. (all the same packages, from the same source code).

Then I installed a CURRENT server and hacked the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/* files for up2date and rhn_register to point to my own server.
I set up a cron job on the CURRENT server to automatically download and compile new errata as they appear on RedHat FTP mirror sites,
and I can update my servers as time permits.

-Ben.