On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 17:24, Bored is me wrote:
> ok, i moved it to a different PCI slot, nothing (i didnt think it would
> help, it works fine on xp, so its not a hardware thing)
>
> this is the contents of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eht0:
> (and im mildly surprised that it printed)
> (comments unimportant)
> USERCTL=no
> PEERDNS=yes
> TYPE=Ethernet
> DEVICE=eth0
> HWADDR=00:e0:29:95:97:85
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> (so obviously im using dhcp) I have shaw cable internet, and its directly to
> the internet.
>
> i never really did set up the card, it was recognized in my network
> configuration
>
> ifup eth0 gives me this:
> Determining IP information for eth0... Failed; no link present. Check cable?
> (yes, it is connected, im not that stupid)
>
> when i do lsmod, i get a module called either rtl8139too or it could have
> been just 8139too (should there have been and 8139cp as well?)
> modprobe 8130cp didnt work, so i assumed it should have been 8139cp,  that
> gave me some errors about it not being found, i think.
> modprobe 8139too gave me absolutly nothing.

Sounds right.  I would try commenting out the HWADDR line and reboot.
This is only because I mistrust anything I don't understand :) and I
have never figured out why this would be necessary although I sure there
is an application for it.

then look in /var/log messages for anything eth related:

grep eth /var/log/messages

should get you close.

Do you get a link light on the card?

Bret