On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 04:21:35PM -0400, Drew Weaver wrote:
> > I don't think they check for the reverse lookup matching the forward.
> > If they do, it will break way too many legitimate servers. They may
> > be bouncing mail with NO reverse lookup (I do that myself)

> Technically it is not legitimate unless the A matches the PTR record. No 2
> ways about it.

        Many ways about it.  In fact, it's total bullshit.

        There is NO one-to-one mapping of A records and PTR records.  No
two ways about it.  A given IP address may have many names associated
with it (that's a given with name based virtual hosting).  By the same
token, a given name may have many IP addresses associated with it (that's
a given with server farms and mirrors and back systems).  There is NO
one to one mapping of A records and PTR records.

        Now, you could loop on A and PTR records and see if you ever
achieve a resolution...

        Host "foo" has IP addresses that include "IP-A".

        "IP-A" has PTR record to name "bar".

        Name "bar" has IP addresses that include "IP-B".

        "IP-B" has PTR record to name "bar".

        Loop complete.  Where do you terminate loop?  How deep before
loop terminates with failure?