----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Weaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: AOL Now Bouncing DHCP Addresses, Residential Addresses[May Be
OT]

> Do you run a mail server on a DHCP address? this makes perfect sense not
> accept email from SMTP servers on dynamic addresses.

I run statics that match the DNS MX records.  When a reverse DNS lookup
happens, it all matches.  AOL checks this as well as do I.  Too many servers
out there are set to relay.  Setup your servers to only be relayed by those
people that are in the database.  All others would bounce.  This is also the
test that AOL will be using when they do an IP followup.

Looking at the info at AOL, when they do find an open relay, they send a
letter to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and [EMAIL PROTECTED] informing you that you
have an open relay.  I put one of my own in their system.  I would like to
know for sure and AOL can assist (even though they are doing it for other
reasons) in identifying a problem.

When a reverse DNS lookup happens, it compares the dns with the IP number.
If they are not matched, the mail bounces.  Those on Dynamic IPs will bounce
on ANY decent server.