On 17 Jun 2003, rm wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 13:47, Daryl Hunt wrote:
> >
> > I run statics that match the DNS MX records.  When a reverse DNS lookup
> > happens, it all matches.  AOL checks this as well as do I.  Too many servers

I don't think they check for the reverse lookup matching the forward.
If they do, it will break way too many legitimate servers. They may
be bouncing mail with NO reverse lookup (I do that myself)

> > out there are set to relay.  Setup your servers to only be relayed by those
> > people that are in the database.  All others would bounce.  This is also the
> > test that AOL will be using when they do an IP followup.
>
> This is perfectly prudent behavior; but I don't believe it
> accurately describes what aol is doing.  In my bounced messages it
> clearly states that the message is being bounced because it
> originated from a block of "residential" IP addresses.  This was
> confirmed by an aol customer service rep.  They are apparently using
> a large "residential IP blacklist" - based not on any behavior but
> simply that the IP's are - "residential"

Sounds like they may be using the MAPS (Mail Abuse Prevention System)
DUL (Dial Up Listing). Most of the addresses on this list were
reported to the list by the ISP's responsible for them. And lots of
systems other than AOL use this list.

> It's of course their right to block whatever they want, but I too
> believe it to be both poor business and ineffective spam control.
> Aol lost 1 million subscribers in the last 6 months, and are
> projected to lose another 1 million in the next 6 months. They must
> be doing something wrong.

If they are using the MAPS DUL, they are in good company and it does
stop a lot of spam. Not as much as it used to, but still quite a bit.
Enough so that most spammers are now abusing open proxies rather than
sending direct to mx or using open relays.

> For what it's worth, I'm not violating my TOS agreement, by running
> a mail server.

I'm not either, but I do have a static IP.

-ray