I missed your previous input and you cut out all the running
dialog
so i have no clue as to what has already been discussed , so
soorry
for anything stupid here... but here's two cents worth....

Sort sounds like your hardware configuration is not correct
anymore, like
you forgot to undo something you changed when you installed
the second drive.

Did ya change the master/slave jumper on the HDa drive to
single drive when you removed
the hdb drive by any chance? Is this a compaq by any chance
that would now prefer you switched to cable select? Does the
drive show up in the bios?

does it actually try to boot?

M. Kirchner
>  Sent: Friday, August 01, 2003 4:45 PM
>  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Subject: RE: GRUB failure
>

>  Otto Haliburton wrote:
>
>  >Let's analyze it.  Grub needs the grub.conf file.  You
>  deleted hdb and
>  >now Grub can't find the .conf file.  So you need to do
>  something that
>  >points GRUB to grub.conf.  So maybe you had a link or
something else
>  >that pointed GRUB to the .conf file.
>  >
>      You're not reading everything I'm telling you guys:
THERE IS
>  NOTHING ON hdb!  Everything is on hda.  hdb is completely
devoid of
>  information but for the lost+found folder, nothing else.
In
>  fact, when
>  the system was originally installed, it ONLY had hda, and
it
>  worked fine
>  and booted fine.  Months later I added hdb as a backup
>  drive, and used
>  it to manually copy stuff from one drive to the other.
Nothing was
>  moved, no partitions changed, all the system files and OS
in general
>  stayed on hda.  As time went by, we started shuffling
things
>  around on
>  the OTHER drives you see in the df output, hdb was never
>  made an active
>  partition, except for when it was needed for backup.  Now
>  that I removed
>  it, grub's not booting.
>
>  --
>  W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape
somewhere.

---------