>  Again, you're not understanding the problem.  When you
boot
>  you transfer
>  to the MBR which loads GRUB.  GRUB then loads the config
>  file and prints
>  the boot images and identifies to itself where the
kernels images are
>  located.  When you select one it transfers to that kernel
image
>  location. Sines it can't find the .conf file it has
nothing
>  to post so
>  it crashes.

Maybe I misunderstand here, but this seems to be a situation
where -

        A working Linux system using GRUB with MBR on HD-A, .conf
file on HD-A
        had a new disk drive HD-B added to it.

        They did nothing apparently to reconfigure the box
bootwise.
        They added the filesystems onto HD-B and used them for
whatever.

        HD-B croaked.

        When they removed HD-B from the ide BUS, things with GRUB
broke
        AND THEY DONT UNDERSTAND WHY?

        Since everything for GRUB should be on HD-A which is still
operational.....
        Grub should not have a problem locating the .conf file
since it should still
        exist on HD-A.

        So Otto, please explain why GRUB cant find the .conf file
in this case
        since it was never on the HD-B drive in the first place?

        Does it copy a backup to new drives upon boot?
        Does it "know" about new drives and get whacked out when it
cant find them?

Why would GRUB whose ENTIRE RESOURCES SHOULD BE STILL INTACT
On DRIVE A
fail to work when DRIVE B is Removed from the IDE Chain?

FYI, I am a UNIX systems programmer with 20 years of source
code kernel level expertise
for UNIX V6 through SysV and BSD including Pyramids OSX.
I understand about boot loaders, have written them, and I
dont know why
they are having a problem here unless it is either
        a hardware issue
        a "uniqueness" in Grub that causes it to fail when hardware
it does
        not need to boot from disappears.

Perhaps the problem owner can explain what I am
misunderstanding here?