Michael Schwendt wrote:

Unless we hear once
more from Ashley (who is confronted with this weird problem), we can
only speculate that is hardware-related most likely. Setting the
disk geometry scheme to LBA and re-installing GRUB should
_theoretically_ fix it.

This has certainly sparked an interesting conversation, and aside from me trying everything everyone has suggested here, I don't know what else to do than to just say 'fuck it'. It works with hdb in place. There is, to me, no logical explanation as to why grub would just decide to not boot after removing a drive it never depended on in the first place. Another mystery of life. Thanks to all who tried to help.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   .   303.442.6410 x130