Otto Haliburton wrote:

Ashley while I believe you when you say that there
is nothing on drive B would you post a fdisk listing of partitions on
drive b.

You really don't believe me when I say there's -NOTHING- on the drive, do you? How about this? I've actually killed everything, including partitions on said drive. GRUB comes up just fine as long as that device is connected. As soon as it's disconnected, it fails. But, you want to see, so here, there is nothing on it:

</root> fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 7476 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

</root>

It boots up fine when it's connected, but not when removed from the chain.

 In the meantime, you can remove drive b and boot from floppy
and then reinstall GRUB with B removed from the system and note any
error messages that install prints when this occurs because either it
will install successfully or it will fail with error messages.

I've been over this time and time again: I HAVE DONE THAT.

- removed hdb
- set hda's jumper back to master otherwise BIOS complains and won't boot
- shoved floppy in, booted up just fine
- ran grub-install /dev/hda, no errors
- removed floppy, reboot
- BIOS finds hda, knows there's no hdb, goes on to boot
- black screen, with 'GRUB' in the corner: system dead

   I ran the same cycle again, this time issuing:
      grub-install --root-directory=/boot '(hd0)'
   as the info page suggests.  Same result, won't boot, dead system.

As soon as I plug hdb back in, whether the drive has partitions on it or not, it boots just fine. I even tried a completely different drive, one that has an NTFS partition on it, and the system boots just fine with it. I doubt GRUB is actually trying to READ anything of the drive.

So I ask you again, how can GRUB possibly be reading ANYTHING from hdb when there's -NOTHING- on it (or when there is something, but totally different, such as the NTFS drive I tried)?

--
H| I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> . 303.442.6410 x130
IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith . 800.441.3873 x130
Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc. . 3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
http://www.pcraft.com ..... . . . Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.