>  Remember. You can boot with a floppy and everything works
correctly

But you are not using the MBR on DRIVE A when you do that
and you are probably
using the entire GRUB package on the floppy disk. This means
that grub phase two
launched from the floppy
can recognize the filesystem on drive A and presumably load
the kernel
from there ( i am assuming the boot floppy does not contain
the OS image
which may not be true.)  The kernel (from where ever it
launches from will autodetect the new hardware layout
and presumably adjust how it accesses the hard drive.

In any case, time to go home.........

doesn't
>  >  find it's grub.conf file,
>  >  it just enters it's CLI mode from where you can do
things
>  >  manually. This is not the
>  >  problem.
>  >    I've had the same situation happen to me with LILO,
>  when I
>  >  first installed RH,
>  >  , and one fine day for no reason at all it happened to
>  GRUB
>  >  too.. I fixed it with
>  >  grub-install /dev/hda, but always wondered how could
GRUB
>  be
>  >  so unstable. This is
>  >  the kind of problem that happens for no reason at all
and
>  >  will make a regular user
>  >  lose his mind.. wish I could help more;
>  >
>  >  --
>  >  Herculano de Lima Einloft Neto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>  I wonder if the real issue in this case is that the ROM
Bios
>  and/or drive
>  firmware involved here has a bug in it and it is acting
>  wierd
>  under certain circumstances and changing the boot time
>  definitions of what
>  the drive configuration/access mode/ geometry is on the
fly?
>  Such that the MBR cant find the /boot partition because
the
>  drive address
>  and/or geometry definition has suddenly changed or
something
>  along that line of
>  thought??????
>
>  Did you check for firmware upgrades for your motherboard
and