>  > What I did notice is there wasn't a /boot
>  > partition in the listing that was sent
>
>  You don't need a /boot partition. The grub.conf was
>  perfectly valid with
>  /dev/hda1 = (hd0,0) being the root partition and
containing the /boot
>  directory.
>
>  The code from MBR fails to load GRUB main program on
primary master
>  drive. Either because it can't access the disk at all or
>  because of disk
>  geometry confusion it loads and executes wrong sectors
which
>  causes the
>  machine to hang.
>
>  And since /dev/hdb doesn't appear in device.map, /dev/hdb
>  was not even
>  known at install time.

Precisely my point, the issue is that  toggling drive B
on/off the
ide bus is changing how the hardware sees drive A in a way
that
is not compatible with the original single drive A
configuration at original OS installation time..

Grub is not broken, the drive is not broken,
We have a ide bus, bios, or other hardware issue that
impacts
the identity and/or disk definitions of drive A.

In other words, popping drive b off the system does not put
you back into Kansas with Auntie Em Dorothy, but instead

you land smack right into the Twilight Zone.