>      This has certainly sparked an interesting
conversation,
>  and aside
>  from me trying everything everyone has suggested here, I
>  don't know what
>  else to do than to just say 'fuck it'.  It works with hdb
in place.
>   There is, to me, no logical explanation as to why grub
would just
>  decide to not boot after removing a drive it never
depended
>  on in the
>  first place.  Another mystery of life.  Thanks to all who
>  tried to help.

Please Dont go, we are not done playing with you
yet............... :-}

Have you checked for Motherboard and disk drive firmware
upgrades
on the respective manufacturers web sites? I think your
problem lies at the primitive level of the rom bios
and not with linux or grub. They are just the innocent
victims.

The Grub-ette (MBR) can not find the Mega-Grub (Phase two
under /boot)
because the B drive removal must be doing something in  the
bios that
makes drive A look different from how it looks with drive b
present.
In fact different from how it looked when you had a single
drive
setup originally.

The real question is WHY because this is far from normal and
you may
be running with unstable "BAD BAD" firmware here that will
whack you
again somewhere else down the road