Ashley

        Are the drive  Manufacturers different?
        Although EIDE is supposed to be a standard
        manufacturers will tend to do their own thing in regards to
jumpers and how things behave.
        You could be running into such an issue here and it will
affect how the drives respond
        on the control line/ide-cmd responses to the BIOS reset and
query sequences.

        You see on a normal EIDE drive, you should have either had
to change jumpers to  single drive mode
        or leave it as master. It should not impact what the drive
looks like or is addressed
        as being the master. The jumpers control only the drives
behaviour in response to the drive select lines.

        In any case, the consensus seems to be at the moment, that
the issue here is how the
        BIOS perceives the layout and/or addressing for your master
drive when you change
        configurations between master-slave  and single drive
setups. It seems to be a BIOS or drive firmware issue. There
may be nothing you can do to cure it. Using drives from the
same
manufacturer may help as it is the drives that interact
based on master slave. The controller just
turns on a  drive select bit hooked to a control cable lead
usually to select one or the other
drive. -the drives/jumpers determine who responses as master
or slave. with the same
manufacturer you can generally be assured that the drives
will behave in the same way.
Your A drive is apparently a model in which the drive has to
BE Single, Master or Slave
        some drives allow for MAster to also be the definition for
single
On top of this your MB bios seems to have a feature by which
it's on board ide controllers
treats a single drive setup differently from a dual drive
setup, changing the perceive drive addressing enough to
confuse grub phase 1

The only real concrete suggestion possible here is to make
sure your motherboard and the drives ide controller firmware
are all up to the latest revision levels. Dont assume just
because
you bought it a short tiem ago it will be because it might
have been on the shelf for a year
and be down two revisions from the current level.

there might be a way to get grub to rebuild it's MBR boot
strap based on the single drive configuration if you setup a
floppy/cdrom boot program to do that. short of a partial
reinstall of Linux
restricted to just the MBR

M. Kirchner
>  Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 4:37 AM
>  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>  Subject: Re: GRUB failure
>

>  brian davison wrote:
>
>  >Ashley...  try not changing the drive to single...
leave
>  it as the Master.
>  >( as in  "don't change the jumper when removing the
second drive")
>  >
>  >
>      No can do.  hda has three settings on it: Master,
Master
>  w/ Slave,
>  and Slave.  Since hdb was installed, it's been set to
Master
>  w/ Slave
>  (leaving it as Master resulted in hdb not being detected
by
>  the BIOS.)
>   Consequently, removing hdb without changing the jumper
on
>  hda resulted
>  in the machine not booting because the BIOS expected a
slave
>  since hda's
>  jumper was set as such.
>
>      Mind you, I've played with this a whole lot already,
and it just
>  doesn't work with just leaving the jumper alone and not
>  changing it.  If
>  I leave it set to Master, the BIOS won't see hdb.  If I
leave it on
>  Master w/ Slave, the BIOS complains about not seeing a
slave
>  (when hdb
>  gets removed.)  So I had to change that anyway.
>
>      PS: Ashley's a guy.
>
>  --
>  H| I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape
somewhere.

---------