>  I think this goes too far, and I don't see what it would
change.
>  IIRC, it has been mentioned that grub-install works
flawlessly when
>  slave drive is available and even when slave drive is
removed and
>  system is booted with bootdisk. However, the newly
written GRUB then
>  fails in MBR as soon as slave drive is not available.

this was in response solely to Ashleys GRUB_INSTALLS not
apparently
having an effect - this is only a theory, but it seems a
reasonable explanation
frogive me if I am redundant here

what I am saying is that the MBR may be crafted or rebuild
by anaconda
for the two drive setup disk info. Anaconda may not be able
to go
backwards here, may not be able to undo in a return to
single drive
configuration - most people add hardware, not remove it, it
may have
not been a tested situation. "Something" changed on the
linux system
being undone
when he reboots with only one drive installed.

If the contents of the MBR in regards to the location of the
Phase 1.5 image
are the real issue here, then replacing it with a freshly
rebuilt version would
be required in order to correct the issue.

"Grub-install". which I have not seen admittedly, may be
based
on a MAKE environment strategy. IF SO IT ONLY REBUILDS The
MBR
if and only if some local disk file has changed that a
dependency
has been declared for. It may not check to see
if the hardware environment changed. By cleansing out the
existing config
info via a MAKE CLEAN or CLOBBER sequence , you should force
it to do a fresh
rebuild from scratch on the MBR program which should insert
the new single drive related information. ie SO FAR your
newly written grub
is the same image as the old grub that was on the mbr to
begin with.
You may have changed nothing by running grub-install in
regards to the MBR
image on sector 0. Ashley just rewrote the same 512 byte
block over and over again.

To rephrase, What I am saying is the copy of the MBR on
drive A is the same as the copy
of the MBR image on /boot that grub-install stuffs back onto
the MBR,
so all the grub installs changed nothing, just rewrote the
same info
over and over again unchanged for the new single drive
configuration
he was trying to configure for.. Popping the hard drive
on/off
changes the underlying hardware/bios info such that it
matched/"did not match" the
contents of the MBR. So it worked any time he had the drive
configuration
matching the corresponding info in the MBR.

One would need to rebuild the MBR based on the new single
drive architecture to
correct this issue - recompile from sources as it were after
booting to a single drive setup.

The boot floppy does not use the MBR, It is the MBR and
probably phase 1.5 as well
all rolled into one. So if you boot from it, you will boot
linux  from /boot directly
then do your grub-install which may just be writting the
same 512 byte image into the
MBR as IS ALREADY THERE.

I hope this is now clear....