>  >    To those of you, who have the theory that GRUB is
>  > and can't load stage2 answer the question, "how it can
>  find stage1 and
>  > then can't find stage2?", when both are in the same
GRUB
>  directory.  It
>  > can not find the GRUB directory period.
>
>  BIOS loads and starts the code from master boot record,
but code in
>  MBR fails to load stage1.5 which is located at a fixed
position on
>  hda. At that point, GRUB does not even know about
"directories" yet,
>  since it is this later stage that would give native
access to ext2
>  fs. The reason that GRUB fails to access hda can be that
BIOS uses a
>  different method to access the drive, while GRUB maybe
gets a wrong
>  drive Id and hence fails to find hda.
>
>  However, Ashley has mentioned that this computer has been
working
>  fine with a single drive for several months until hdb was
added.
>  Only when hdb was removed, it started to malfunction. So,
if it's
>  not a BIOS thing that confuses GRUB, I don't see why GRUB
would fail

I would presume when he added in the second drive, Anaconda
or something similiar came along and made the necessary
internal reference adjustments for the drive changes
that occured. maybe its not smart enough
to back them out when he pops the drive out.
Maybe its 1.5 that fails before it prints out a message?

In any case, talking is not going to find the cause,
He would need to debug it with grub itself
and playin garound with things
and it is a moot point to Ahsley for the moment as his
system is now operational again.

It would nice to know what the cause is so fixes could be
implemented
for future considerations.