>      - set hda's jumper back to master otherwise BIOS
>  complains and won't
>  boot
>      - shoved floppy in, booted up just fine
>      - ran grub-install /dev/hda, no errors
>      - removed floppy, reboot
>      - BIOS finds hda, knows there's no hdb, goes on to
boot
>      - black screen, with 'GRUB' in the corner: system
dead

>      I ran the same cycle again, this time issuing:
>         grub-install --root-directory=/boot '(hd0)'
>      as the info page suggests.  Same result, won't boot,
dead system.

ASHLEY -   Your grub issue may be that

grub-install may only install an already compiled and loaded
version of the
MBR phase one piece. YOU MAy have to do a GRUB Make to
rebuild the
MBR piece with the new system architecture taken into
account..
Ie you were just  installing the same MBR as the existing
one, when what you need to
do is build a new single drive version of the MBR and
install that.

In a standard MAKE environment, Make install only rebuilds
the
executables if the sources they depend on have changed.
otherwise
they just install the compiled binary image already in the
directory
from the last full build.

In your case, you need to do the GRUB equiivalent of a "Make
clean"
which purges all the binarys and the executables
and then a "make install" to built the new binaries and
install them.

Michael S may know how to direct you there as he seems to
have more grub expertise than I
and may know the rebuild from scratch commands required.