>  >
>  > BIOS loads and starts the code from master boot record,
but code in
>  > MBR fails to load stage1.5 which is located at a fixed
position on
>  > hda. At that point, GRUB does not even know about
>  "directories" yet,
>  > since it is this later stage that would give native
access to ext2
>  > fs. The reason that GRUB fails to access hda can be
that
>  BIOS uses a
>  > different method to access the drive, while GRUB maybe
gets a wrong
>  > drive Id and hence fails to find hda.
>  >
>  > However, Ashley has mentioned that this computer has
been working
>  > fine with a single drive for several months until hdb
was added.
>  > Only when hdb was removed, it started to malfunction.
So, if it's
>  > not a BIOS thing that confuses GRUB, I don't see why
GRUB
>  would fail
>
>  You haven't gotten the point of the question.  GRUB is in
>  the MBR from
>  the install.  It has a location to get to the GRUB
directory to load
>  stage1 (we know that stage1 and stage2 and all other
things
>  are in the
>  GRUB directory look them up yourself).  So it locates the
>  GRUB directory
>  to load stage1 then why would it now lose that location
>  load stage2.

GRUB MBR DOES NOT KNOW LINUX DIRECTORY STRUCTURES
GRUB MBR DOES NOT KNOW EXTFS Filesystems

ALL IT KNOWS is an PHYSICal offset into the disk to start
reading from and a count
of bytes to read. This is very low level stuff. where it is
reading from on the drive
is not where the phase 1.5 is. (Or phase 1.5 is having  a
similiar issue itself