Linux [ Redhat or otherwise ]is actually available 'Free'
to anyone willing to go to the trouble to download it.
And you are free to modify it and become a distributor
of your own distribution as long as the GNU General
Public License is respected.

Redhat and the other distrubutions
'package a distribution'
on a CDROM and distribute the CDROM.

They are charging for the 'packaging'
and the 'convenience to the 'new/or experienced user'.

fred smith wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 24, 1999 at 11:04:56PM -0500, John Vincent M. Catral wrote:
> > >   Linux is supposedly free under the

It is Free if you download it...better have a good connection though.

> Er, actually it isn't free of charge. If you can find someone who is
> willing to pay you to give them a copy of it, you're "free" to carry out
> such a transaction. The phrase that's used a lot about GPL'd things is
> "free speech, not free beer", which means you're "free" (as in liberty)
> to use/modify/distribute, it does not mean that
> 'distribution'
> must be free of monetary (or other/equivalent) compensation.
>
> Fred

Exactly

> > alter.  When you are paying for Linux it really means that you are paying for
> > the time and effort someone burned Linux into a CD, The CD itself =), support
> > from the Linux distributor and lastly, all the setup books that come with the
> > package.  Those are what you are paying for.

When you are just starting out with Linux buying the CDROM and
manual is a wise way to go.

My two cents.

Johnny