On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Frank Rocco wrote:

> http://linuxtoday.com/stories/13613.html
>
> Not sure why they chose it over Red Hat,

Because apparently all they looked at is the installation process, and the
layout of the desktop.

The installer looks good, so does the modified KDE - but if you start
looking beyond the obvious, you'll find a distribution that has far
less packages than any other distribution I've seen, is outdated in
extreme (even in places where updates would be important. Don't ever
connect Corel Linux to a network without applying upgrades from a
different distribution! There are at least 3 root exploits in it [one
in bind, two more in proftpd]), not Y2K save (they're still using glibc
2.0, which has a known Y2K bug), buggy, and nonstandard (why did they
choose dpkg over rpm??? And they could use newer libraries. Not even
Corel's own WordPerfect will run on Corel Linux without modifying the
installation).

It looks very much like an improved version of Windows - fancy, but as
soon as you start looking into it, crappy.

I wonder if their next version will be any good.

LLaP
bero

--
Nobody will ever need more than 640 kB RAM.
                -- Bill Gates, 1983