On 14 Dec, Zoki wrote:

> I'm not a KDE fan but anybody with less than 1 year of Linux experience
> will have KDE installed by me on his box. And as a door opener of the
> very closed Micro$oft market, it's certainly a superb product.

I would really only do that if the person just wanted a stable desktop
 and didn't care much about what was under it. If someone wanted to
 learn *nix then I wouldn't install Gnome or KDE.  I'd give them a
 setup that was more traditionally X-like - sloppy focus by default,
 single-click activation etc.

When I started with Linux I spent 2 months just at the console before
even installing X.  That may not be strictly necessary but it helped me
a lot.

--

Bruce