On Fri, Dec 24, 1999 at 06:44:45PM +1030, lloy0076 wrote:

> Hi There!
>
> I have recently installed an MS-5184 Baby AT VI4 Motherboard with an AMD
> K6-III running at 450MHZ. I used to run an AMD K6-II @ 366MHZ with an
> old, 66MHZ board. The memory is exactly the same. Some people said I

You're not using PC100 RAM with the new board? I'd think that would
cost you BIG on performance since you can't (shouldn't) run old RAM
at the 100Mhz bus speed the K6-III will prefer.

> would notice a difference; some said I wouldn't. My experiences so far
> are:
>
> * StarOffice actually looks like it's doing something and reacts
> straight away
> * Netscape loads almost at the click of a button
> * X runs significantly faster
> * The GIMP loads significantly faster
>
> In my opinion the upgrade has been worth it. Besides, I now have two
> relatively fast machines. The older KG II @ 366MHZ was certainly quite
> fast and I still have it; just gotta get round to installing it into a
> case somewhere. The only glitch is that it killed my Windows (again).

Yeah, I learned the hard way last spring when I put a new motherboard in
my system that Windoze positively *hates* it when the hardware changes
out from under it. I'm told I should have gone to "control panel"
"system" and removed all the system devices when shutting down the old
motherboard for the last time. I didn't, and had a major war with
Windoze to get it to even work. Even after the war there's still a
skirmish or two (every time it boots Windows kindly "finds new hardware"
for me, and it's always my sound card and my IDE disk controller--which
it already knows about and which work fine. I've got to tell it CANCEL
else it'll install a second copy of them. Every time!).

> Because some of the I/O port addresses are different, Windows is asking
> this and asking that and asking this and askng that. I will eventually
> get around to installing the stupid thing....

You could TRY doing what I suggest above, i.e., remove all the devices
under control-panel/system, shut it down then reboot windoze and let it
re-find all the hardware again. Reputed to work. Helped when I did it,
except for the ongoing issue I mention above which is not helped by
that technique.

Thank goodness I rarely boot windoze on that system (I've got an old 486
on which I run Windoze when I absolutely have to) so it's not much of a
problem anymore.

Fred
--
---- Fred Smith -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] ----------------------------