Greg Wright wrote:

> Hi

> On 26/02/00 at 0:38 Zaigui Wang wrote:
>
> >My modem is a 56k using the X2 technology. I bought this from onsale for
> >$29. Now I know why it was that cheap! The manufacture NCI (new com, inc)
> >has long gone out of businesss!
> >
> >My question is: Can I update my modem at all to the new V.90 standard?
>
> If it is flashable, and you have the update, the I would say yes, however,
> a lot need hardware changes.....
>
>  It
> >looks like more and more ISP's are using V.90 now.
> >

> V.90 has been the accepted standard for some time........
>
> FWIW , at 33.6k, you should still get 4kbps approx, and this is all most
> 56k modems will get as well
>
> ie  , get a known size file say 10 meg, use a 56k modem to download and
> time it, then do the same at 33.6, compare results :-)  it should be hardly
> noticable, however, if you are maily web browsing, 56k will be
> faster......as the files are less compressed, however these days, that is
> also less of a consideration.....
>
> Regards
>
> Greg Wright
> IT Consultant Sydney Australia
>
> --
>
> *** Please trim any replies ***
> *** Please turn off HTML in your email ***
> *** Please don't use the list for test messages ***
> *** Why not read the archives? http://moongroup.com/redhat.phtml ***
>
> --
> as the Subject.

>From my experience using USR 33.6K vs USR 56K V.90, the results is very
noticable since it took me nearly half the time to download but never half the
time.  33.6K download average 3.5 to 4.0 Bytes per second vs. 56K download
average 4.5 to 5.5 Bytes per second and the time it takes to download large
file is considerably less using 56K than 33.6K.  If you know a store that will
sell the OEM they are usually cheaper and my 33.6K is not OEM but my 56K is
OEM.  If you can afford, buy new modem and use old modem for second computer
(if you have one).