Ok, first off this will depend on what eqipt. is on both ends, but lets
assume 56k v.90 modems....

Now, do we all agree that 56k modems will only download at a faster rate
than they will upload ? from documentation i read that openly a 56k modem
will only send at 33.6k

So, when downloading I should get 56k right ? I mean hell, thats what they
are sold as......

For one, doing about 9months of 50+ cases a day of modem problems, most
modems in my country using digital exchanges, and I guess cable lengths
would not have been too excessive as I am talking metro connections, 48k
was usually the best anyone got, and often 56k modems would actually be
slower that 33.6 because of what I considered to be noise on phone
lines.....but all this is only on the dumb counting software thats in
windows or other OS's like MAC , so I would not trust my life to
that.......its an indicator, and a bad one at that....

Anyway, here is my problem.......

With both ends being 56k modems, when the client is downloading, the
terminal servers modem is uploading, and the upload speed of a 56k modem
is...........how much again ?

So, that was my reason for my size testing, and I kid you not when I say
that, and here is a key point MOST , not all, most times there was a
negligable difference, we are talking flea farts anyways, there is also a
multitude of other things that can effect modem speeds, I just wish it was
old technology in my country insead of being what 95% of people have to put
up with.....

So if my thinking/methods are totally flawed, please explain :-) and spare
no technical reasoning, I guess I can fathom most things.....

Also I believe its mainly a compression mechanism in 56k modems which is
better, I am also under the belief that compressed/zipped files generally
cannot be compressed any more, and more processing speed may be taken up
attempting to do so......

On 26/02/00 at 10:52 C Heath wrote:

>Greg Wright wrote:
>
>> Hi

>>From my experience using USR 33.6K vs USR 56K V.90, the results is very
>noticable since it took me nearly half the time to download but never half
the
>time.  33.6K download average 3.5 to 4.0 Bytes per second vs. 56K download
>average 4.5 to 5.5 Bytes per second and the time it takes to download
large
>file is considerably less using 56K than 33.6K.  If you know a store that
will
>sell the OEM they are usually cheaper and my 33.6K is not OEM but my 56K
is
>OEM.  If you can afford, buy new modem and use old modem for second
computer
>(if you have one).

Regards

Greg Wright
IT Consultant Sydney Australia

--

*** Please trim any replies ***
*** Please turn off HTML in your email ***