Hi Juha

On 27/02/00 at 9:33 Juha Saarinen wrote:

>%-> FWIW , at 33.6k, you should still get 4kbps approx, and this is all
most
>%-> 56k modems will get as well
>
>Bah! Humbug! ;-)
>
>A properly set up 56K modem, like my USR Sportster, gets 5-7KBps on
>compressed files, and up to 13KBps on compressible stuff like text.
>

>-- Juha

They must use Gold plated connections through the exchanges etc there   :-)

Also, I hope you have done the timing thing of a known file size, you will
be surprised at the small difference, I did also say most, which means if
you phone line is noiseless, and its not a long run from the exchange, you
could do better.....  but I never look at reported line speed, only test
speed by using known file sizes, dialing through same exch, with same line
hopefully :-)

The way they are pushed, you would expect 8kbps roughly, and you wont get
it, thats ISDN domain.....

BTW I am interested in what software you see the reported 5-7kbps, I also
should have mentioned that the 4kbps is an average for 33.6, it may peak
quite a bit higher sometimes, but in any case, we are counting fleas right
? we should force telstra to supply both countries with much faster, more
reliable ways to connect to the Internet.....I am tempted to say the word
"thieves" , but I won't.

--

Greg Wright

IT Consultant Sydney Australia     PH 0418 292020
Available for Global Contracts   Int. +61 418 292020
web  http://www.ausit.com    e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
T/A AAA Computers & ITpro & Ozzie Soft, providers of IT, ISP & Software
services.