Jason Costomiris wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2000 at 06:22:57PM -0600, Vidiot wrote:
> : > The installer DOES note that it will completely repartition your drives,
> : > thus killing whatever was already there.  Shame on you for not using the
> : > "Custom" option, which lets you choose what to do with your drives.
> :
> : That is no excuse for the installation to blindly remove partitions without
> : double-checking with the user that it is OK to destroy that drive.
>
> There's nothing "blind" about it.  It tells you plain as day.  You didn't
> pay enough attention, and you killed your data.  You have nobody to blame
> but yourself.  It happens to everyone once.  This is your turn.  Next time,
> you will be more careful.
>
> : RedHat's installation has to take a lot of responsibility in this fiasco.
>
> Maybe they could put in a "Hey, did you really read what I just said?  I'm
> about to kill all of your data.  You sure about this?" message, but that
> smacks of Microsoft's "Are you sure?  Are you really sure?  Really and
> truly?  Sure you mean it?".

I'd like to put a slightly different spin on this.

A lot of people on this list, myself included, have been doing this for
a while.  Whe I installed RH6.1, I burned CD's of my old system, then
use a find command to copy all files <1MB (as a cheap filter for
configuration files) to another disk, just in case I couldn't get the
SCSI or cdrom working right away.

A common thread on mailing lists and newsgroups like this is "Why aren't
more people using linux instead of windows, and what can we do to change
that?"  Well, here's a prime example.  Yes, there was a message on some
part of the screen.  Was it enough?  I didn't see the message so I don't
know if the average less-experienced user would have noticed.  I hate
"Are you sure?" messages, but if a program is going to wipe out all
filesystems, I would expect the message saying so to be pretty
prominent, with directions on how tell it to work differently.