By default, color is not  used  to  distinguish  types  of
       files.   That  is equivalent to using --color=none.  Using
       the --color option without the optional WHEN  argument  is
       equivalent  to  using  --color=always.  With --color=auto,
       color codes are output only if  standard  output  is  con<AD>
       nected to a terminal (tty).

I suspect that you have an alias that is predefined. Look in /etc/bashrc.
Delete the alias of just
unalias ls
should fix you up.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-Stranger things have happened but none stranger than this. Steven W. Orr-