I am using a Toshiba 25CDT laptop.  KDE and Star Office work fine.

When I try to log on for an Internet connection, I get the message: "Sorry Modem is Busy".

If I configure the PCCard modem, I get the same message.

When I configure an external modem, a Robotic Sportster,  I get the message:

"Modem Ready", but when I try to connect it says "Initializing Modem" forever.

I do the configuration with Kppp.

When I enter the command:  'ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem'  I am told the file

already exists.

All three modems work with Windows.

I am a struggling newbie, and would appreciate some help.

Cheers Tom Powell