> I am using a Toshiba 25CDT laptop.  KDE and Star Office work fine.
> When I try to log on for an Internet connection, I get the message
> "Sorry Modem is Busy".

> If I configure the PCCard modem, I get the same message.

> When I configure an external modem, a Robotic Sportster, I get the
> message:

> "Modem Ready", but when I try to connect it says "Initializing Modem"
> forever.

> I do the configuration with Kppp.

> When I enter the command:  'ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem'  I am told the
> file already exists.

> All three modems work with Windows.

Tom,

A few questions:

1. Are there 2 or 3 modems?  The way you worded the e-mail it looks like
   2.  One is a PCMCIA card and the other is an external hooked up to
   your serial port.
2. Are these modems WinModems?  WinModems are software controlled and do
   not work well under Linux.
3. How are your serial ports setup?  Can you run the following commands
   to see how things are setup?

      /bin/setserial -a /dev/ttyS0              # COM1
      /bin/setserial -a /dev/ttyS1              # COM2
      /bin/setserial -a /dev/ttyS2              # COM3
      /bin/setserial -a /dev/ttyS3              # COM4

   Ignore the "# COM?".  It's just a comment.

   Where UART is "unknown" there is no port.  Where it is "16550A" it is
   a standard COM port.  If it's anything else, I would love to know about
   it.  Run these commands as root.

   3a. Is the UART set to 16550A?
   3b. What is the Port?
   3c. What is the IRQ?
   3d. What is the Baud_base?
   3e. What are the Flags?

4. Can you use a simple communications package like kermit or minicom to
   configure the modem?  Try is and let me know.

I guess that's enough to start with.  Both the external and PCMCIA modems
should work because neither should be WinModems or in a similiar class.

Paul

Paul B. Brown                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
President
Brown Technologies Network, Inc.               http://www.btechnet.com/

Systems and Applications Design, Development, Deployment, and Maintenance