On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Michael George wrote:

> On Jun 07, Robert Canary wrote:
> >
> > And MS did not develop the TCP/IP contrary to popular belief.  IBM did.
>
> I don't think this is the case, but I could be mis-remembering.  I think it
> was Vint Cerf and other academics that designed the protocol.  And I think
> they were working under a government grant.
>
> Anyone else remember history on this better than I?  I don't want to have to
> dig out my old Internetworking textbooks...
>
> -Michael

>From http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jjdawkin/tcpip/history.html

   TCP and IP were developed by a Department of Defence (DoD) research
   project to connect a number of different netweorks designed by
   different vendors into a network of networks. The project was
   initially successful because it provided a few basic services everyone
   needed, including file transfer, electronic mail and remote logon. In
   December 1968, the Advanced Research Projects Agency (ARPA) awarded
   Bolt Beranek and Bewman a contract to design and deploy a packet
   switching network. The project was called ARPANET and four nodes were
   in place by the end of 1969 and connections to Europe were made by
   1973.

   The initial host-to-host communications protocol used in ARPANET was
   the Network Control Protocol (NCP). NCP proved to be unable to keep up
   with the growing network traffic load. The Transmisson Control
   Protocol (TCP) and the Internet Protocol (IP) were proposed and
   implemented in 1974 as a more robust suite of communications
   protocols. Both protocols have had revisions with the most notable
   being IP version 6 which was released in December 1995. In 1983, the
   DoD mandated that all of their computer systems would use the TCP/IP
   protocol suite for long-haul communications.

   1983 saw a huge increase in the popularity of TCP/IP when the
   University of California included TCP/IP in the communications kernel
   for 4.2BSD Unix. The DoD mandated that all of its computer systems use
   OSI protocols by August 1990 and phase out all use of TCP/IP.
   Development of TCP/IP continued despite the mandate and is still in
   use.

--
Bill Keesing

http://www.keesing-keay.gen.nz/bill/