On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Charles Galpin wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Roadrunner wrote:
> >
> > > My question is: Can I install Suse on my computer next to Windows and
> > > Redhat?
> >

> > Sure!
> >
> > > Do i have to purchase a special bootmanager(www.bootmanager.com) or can Lilo
> > > handle 3 operatingsystems?
> >
> > Lilo can handle more than just 3 OSes...
> > Writing this from a machine that can boot into Red Hat Linux 6.2, Red
> > Hat Linux 7.0 beta with kernel 2.2.16, Red Hat Linux 7.0 beta with kernel
> > 2.4.0, Debian 2.2, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and DR-DOS, all using lilo.
> >
> > All you need to do is adding another entry to lilo.conf, e.g.
> >
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-0.16
> >     label=redhat-7.0-2.4
> >     read-only
> >     root=/dev/hdb2
> >
> > (Replace /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-0.16 with wherever the kernel is located and
> > /dev/hdb2 with the root partition).

it's worth emphasizing what's really happening in this lilo.conf file.
the kernel you refer to in the "image" directive must be accessible
(that is, mounted) when you run the "lilo" command.

thus, if you're in the red hat partition, one option is to create
a mount point called /suse, mount the suse /boot partition there,
then the image line would read

  image=/suse/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-0.16

or whatever.

  the other option is to literally copy the suse kernel into
the red hat /boot directory, then you don't have to do the
mounting business.

your call.

rday

--
"This is Microsoft technical support.  How may I misinform you?"