On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, John Aldrich wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> >
> > it's worth emphasizing what's really happening in this lilo.conf file.
> > the kernel you refer to in the "image" directive must be accessible
> > (that is, mounted) when you run the "lilo" command.
> >
> > thus, if you're in the red hat partition, one option is to create
> > a mount point called /suse, mount the suse /boot partition there,
> > then the image line would read
> >
> >   image=/suse/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-0.16
> >
> > or whatever.
> >
> >   the other option is to literally copy the suse kernel into
> > the red hat /boot directory, then you don't have to do the
> > mounting business.
> >
> Could you SHARE the /boot directory, such that the SAME boot
> directory is used by all linux distributions? OTOH, I'm not sure how
> you'd keep SuSE from overwriting the RedHat kernel with it's own,
> assuming they have the same filename (which I do NOT know to be the
> case...)

bad idea since there are common files (eg., System.map, module-info,
etc.)  besides, if you trash such a common /boot directory, you are
in mucho trouble.  better to keep them separate.

the drawback with doing the mounting approach is that, when
you rebuild a kernel in the suse partition, you have to rerun
lilo back in the redhat partition.  it does get a tad messy,
but it's doable.

rday
--
"This is Microsoft technical support.  How may I misinform you?"