Bret Hughes wrote:

> I am in the process of doing a Southwestern Bell DSL self
> install.  I have the modem/bridge connected and solid lights
> on the dsl and atm indicators.  According to the docs, I am
> jammin'.. However when I try to bring up eth0 with dhcp
> enabled it times out and the interface is dropped.  ifconfig
> shows eth0 with no ipaddress during this time.  A ping
> attempt shows trying to ping from 0.0.0.0.  I guess all this
> makes sense.  The interface comes up fine here at the office
> using the dhcpd that came with RedHat.
>
> Any ideas?  I have a call into tech support but I thought I
> would try to get a jump on it.  Do I need anything else for
> this to work?  We have dsl here at the office but it uses
> static ipaddresses so the dhcp was not an issue.
>
> I find a lot of references to problems with pump but few
> specifics.  What do I need to do to try a dhcp client rather
> than pump?  /sbin/ifup calls pump directly  Do I have to
> tweak ifup to get it to call dhcp instead?
>
> I assume that I cam manually start the interface using
> ifconfig -i eth0 up. and then call pump but that does not
> work either.  I can see the lights on the bridge flicker and
> tcpdump reports 14 packets recieved but no output.  calling
> tcpdump -i eth0 gives the error tht the interface is not up
> even though ifconfig is doing the no ip address thing.  Is
> there some other tool to sniff the interface so I can see
> what is happening?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Bret

I am jammin'.  Thanks to all who commented.

The issue was the user id given me allowed only a connection
the
the secure server for registering a real user id.  Only took
five calls to tech
supprot until someone recognized the problem.  I broke down and
tried it in
windows and had the same result so I knew it was not a linux
issue.

One very interesting thing is that there is NOT an ipaddress on
eth0 using
pppoe.  this is what led me down the pump vs dhcp path to begin
with.  BTW I had
found a post spelling out the /sbin/ifup changes very similar
to what was posted
here on a discussion for @home.

I do have dhcpcd doing the dhcp thing but I will probably try
pump as well so
things are less likely to break during an upgrade.

for the benefit of future archive surfers. here is what the
config looks like
once working on my machine.

$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:98:06:87:D1
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          TX packets:253 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1

          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr: ipaddressfrom server
P-t-P:otheripaddress
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1492
Metric:1
          TX packets:223 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric
Ref    Use Iface
adsl-ipaddress *               255.255.255.255 UH    0
0        0 ppp0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0
0        0 lo
default         adsl-ipaddress 0.0.0.0         UG    0
0        0 ppp0

Next is to get all this working on my new firewall box and set
up the network.

BTW the ssh/vpn setup I was using under the dialup(gordon's)
works like a champ.

Bret