On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Scott Skrogstad wrote:

> Just installed a new 6.2 server as my backup named server.  When I do a ps
> aux|grep named   I get
>
> named     535  0.1  0.8  2528 1668 ?        S    20:18   0:00 named -u named
> scott     864  0.0  0.2  1360  508 pts/0    S    20:25   0:00 grep named
>
> What the heck is named -u named ??

I don't think that RTFM is a rude answer.

Checking the man page would involve less work than writing a message to
the list, and would get your answer faster.

If it helps you in the future, when reading man pages, you can invoke a
search using the '/' key.  man will allow you to search by typing the '/'
character, followed by the text you would like to search for, and the
'Enter' key.

# man named
     -u user_name
          Specifies the user the server should run as after it initial­
          izes.  The value specified may be either a username or a nu­
          meric user id.  If the ``-g'' flag is not specified, then the
          group id used will be the primary group of the user specified
          (initgroups() is called, so all of the user's groups will be
          available to the server).

The point of "-u named" is to allow named to drop root privileges as soon
as it finishes root type stuff (like opening its port).  This reduces the
risk to your system, since an attacker won't be able to get a root shell
through an attack on named.  He _may_ be able to get a shell, though.

MSG